Setting up Jynx and Pale

So, my Lynx is dead (for now at least), long live the Lynx.

I was desperate to get to see my game "Super Air Raid" so my only hope was an emulator and somehow to get my program from cassette tape to PC and load it in the emulator.

Being relatively new to the whole retro gaming world of emulators, whilst I knew they existed for the Lynx, I'd never tried one out.

So step one get the emulators on my PC.

Jynx by Jonathan Markland is the latest emulator for Lynx 48 / 96 and from my new found experience its a pretty good one. The key for me was how to get Super Air Raid loaded into it, and the only source I had is the tape - no printout (how I wished I had kept the old RS232 Daisywheel printer I had back in the day) so I couldn't re-key it.

I contacted Jonathan a couple of years ago and he indicated that copying the tape to PC using Audacity would be where to start and then to look at converting that to TAP format using a PALE emulator feature which Jynx can then load. More of that in a future post.

Anyway loading Jynx is a breeze on Windows, just download it from the link on Jonathan's blog, unzip and copy the whole directory to wherever you want it and add a shortcut to either the 32 or 64bit version. Jynx is also available for Raspberry Pi, but I have not tried that but I am sure it would work.

PALE by Pete Todd is the other Lynx emulator and is now only available from Russell Davis' blog.

Indeed when I tried to download it Russell's site was down but a couple of tweets to him at https://twitter.com/ukscone and he soon fixed that up. Russell maintains a fantastic repository of Lynx documentation both on his own site and on GitHub - the links are in the "Useful Links" section of this blog.

Installing PALE is also pretty straight forward - but you can tell it was written a while ago from the style of the installer. After installing version 8.10 you have to manually apply version 8.5 but instructions are in the readme that comes with the 8.5 download.

PALE takes a bit of playing around with - it also runs VERY fast on modern CPU's even at the 25% speed setting.

Jynx is a lot more polished than PALE but PALE, as I have discovered, is a key component in being able to recover software from tape so its a big thumbs up from me.

If Jynx could incorporate the PALETAPE functionality from PALE it would be a killer feature. Hopefully my documented experience may help Jonathan to make that happen.


Comments